Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gavin McKay Lott

Gavin McKay Lott was born December 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm weighing 6 lbs 4 oz and he was 19 1/2 inches long. Friday morning I woke up with my lower back hurting and didn't know if it was back labor or if it was because I was walking for 4 hours the day before. Jordan convinced me to go to my doctor to make sure I wasn't in labor.


I wasn't in labor but was dilated to a 6 so Dr. Johnson sent me to the hospital to start me. He broke my water at 11:30 am, started me on pitocin at 12:30 pm and shortly after that I got my epidural...which didn't even work. I feel truly blessed to have had a short labor. I really only had hard contractions for about a hour before I needed to push. I pushed about 5 times and he was here!
The nurse almost had to deliver Gavin because the doctor wasn't in the room yet. He came in just in time to glove up and catch the baby. In a way I'm kind of glad that my epidural didn't work. Now would I try to go without it, probably not. But its an experience that I will never forget and I have learned it is totally mind over matter. I didn't prepare myself for if I couldn't have an epidural (or in my case not working). I just thought that I would have one (that works) and everything goes great. But now at least I know that I can handle a hour of hard contractions and about 5 pushes. I had a great support that helped me through it all. Jordan, of course, and Cathy, my mother-in-law, both helped me with my breathing and tried to keep me calm and relaxed. Thank you to both of you!


The hair surprised me. I thought that I only would have bald babies. Plus its brown.

Carson is loving his new little brother! He is really sweet with him and helps me out. I love having my 2 boys 14 months apart and I think I'm adjusting well. I haven't been brave enough to take them to a store by myself yet. Maybe when it gets warm I will take that challenge on!


6 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

He is so adorable!!

Camille said...

Yea!! Thanks for the update...its sure been long enough ;) Looks like another beautiful baby! Good Job :)

Malita Bingham said...

I can't wait to meet him! He looks so cute in the pictures.

Janell said...

He is beautiful!

Samantha said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! I love the name - I remember you toying with the idea of the name back in July!
My epidural with Clive didn't work either, and that's no walk in the park!!! Way to go!

Kendi said...

Congratulations Heather! What a cutie he is. Some days may be hard but I promise that you can do it. Enjoy this very special time!!

P.S. I think it is cool that you got to feel the real thing! Way to go.